Sciatica and Chiropractic Care: How to Relieve the Pain
By Dr. Drew Voelsch
Subscribe to Dr. Drew’s Updates!
Schedule with Dr. Drew
If you’re one of the millions of Americans suffering from sciatica, you may wonder if there’s anything you can do to find relief. The good news is that chiropractic care can help! Let this article tell you how.
What Is Sciatica?
Sciatica is a condition that occurs when the sciatic nerve, which runs from the lower back down the back of the thigh, becomes compressed or irritated. It can cause pain, numbness, or weakness in the affected leg.
What Can Cause Sciatica?
Sciatica can be caused by a variety of factors, including:
- Age: As people age, their bodies change. Older people are also more likely to experience age-related conditions such as arthritis, which can lead to sciatica.
- Obesity: Obesity puts extra pressure on the spine, which can compress the sciatic nerve. This compression can then lead to the pain and discomfort of sciatica.
- Wearing High Heels: High heels can cause sciatica because it puts extra pressure on the lower back. This pressure can compress the sciatic nerve, causing pain. High heels also change how you walk, which can put extra strain on the back and lead to sciatica.
- Sitting for Long Periods: When you sit, your weight is distributed unevenly across your pelvis, which can cause the sciatic nerve to become compressed. That can lead to pain, numbness, and tingling in the legs and buttocks.
- Pregnancy: The extra weight from pregnancy can also put pressure on the sciatic nerve.
- Spinal Stenosis: This condition occurs when the spinal canal narrows, putting pressure on the sciatic nerve.
- Piriformis Syndrome: This condition occurs when the piriformis muscle, located in the buttocks, spasms and puts pressure on the sciatic nerve.
- Degenerative Disc Disease: This condition occurs when the discs in the spine begin to deteriorate. It can also put pressure on the sciatic nerve.
What Are the Symptoms of Sciatica?
The most common symptom of sciatica is pain that radiates from your lower back down your leg. This pain can be accompanied by tingling, numbness, or weakness in your leg. Sciatica is often worse when you sit or stand for long periods, and it may get better when you lie down or walk around.
If you think you may have sciatica, you must see a doctor and get a proper diagnosis and treatment. A doctor can determine if you have sciatica by doing a physical exam and asking about your symptoms. They may also order imaging tests, such as an MRI, to rule out other conditions.
Once you have a diagnosis, your doctor will work with you to develop a treatment plan. Treatment for sciatica often includes pain medication, physical therapy, and exercises. In some cases, surgery may be necessary to relieve the pressure on the nerve.
How Chiropractic Treatment Can Help
When dealing with sciatica, you know how painful and debilitating it can be. Thankfully, chiropractic treatment can help relieve the pain and help you get back to your life.
Chiropractic treatment for sciatica focuses on relieving the pressure on the sciatic nerve. This can be done through various techniques, including spinal adjustments, massage, and stretching. By relieving the pressure on the nerve, the pain will start to decrease.
In addition to relieving the pain, chiropractic treatment can also help improve the nervous system’s function. By restoring alignment to the spine, the chiropractor can help take the pressure off the nerves and allow them to function correctly. That can help to improve overall health and well-being.
Chiropractic treatment may be a good option for those suffering from sciatica. That’s because chiropractic care can help align the spine and relieve pressure on the sciatic nerve. Additionally, chiropractors may also recommend exercises and stretches to help alleviate sciatica symptoms.
If you’re suffering from sciatica, don’t suffer any longer. Schedule an appointment with a chiropractor today and start on the road to recovery. Working with a qualified and experienced practitioner is important to get the best results. So if you are looking for a chiropractor in Arlington Heights, IL, contact us at Hawkeye Chiropractic. We are the leading full-service chiropractic center in the area.
“Dr Drew is upfront about what’s going on with your body. He helps work with you to achieve the goals that you as a patient want to set. I highly recommend him to those interested in chiropractic services.P.S Go Cyclones!”